Behavioral Health Consultant
Sun Life Family Health Center, Inc.
Position: Behavioral Health Consultant
Reports to: Manager, Behavioral Health Services
Location: Sun Life Family Health Center, Maricopa, AZ
As a member of the Sun Life Family Health Center’s healthcare team, works in collaboration with the primary care providers in managing the overall health of patients; provides skill training through patient education strategies and develops specific behavioral change plans to address maladaptive behaviors as well as other psychosocial factors.
- Provide quality clinical consultation addressing patient psychosocial concerns in collaboration with the integrated primary care team. Capable of assessment and interventions for patients of all ages regarding psychosocial concerns that may be related to life stressors, acute and/or chronic mental health conditions, motivational barriers to healthy lifestyle, and/or other identifiable behavioral health concerns, while making appropriate recommendations to medical providers and patients
- Capable of assessing the patient’s behavioral health related issues utilizing DSM-IV-R, PHQ-9, and other relevant diagnostics for the purposes of integrated primary care treatment planning and/or referrals to community based specialized mental health providers
- Provide brief, health, and behavior focused assessments and interventions with active development of behavioral change planning that can improve psychosocial functioning and impact patient’s bio-medical health outcomes
- Provide follow up appointments to deliver psychotherapeutic care related to the mind/body connection including relapse prevention education
- Function in the role of educator to patients as it pertains to identifying psychosocial needs and appropriate treatment techniques and self-management skills
- Attend monthly department staffing and weekly supervision meetings
- Promote smooth interface between medicine and behavioral health care throughout the organization through collaborative relationship building, efficiency with patient flow, accessibility to medical providers, brief consultations with providers and staff, and adherence to scope of practice limitations given the population based approach
- Establish and build collaborative relationships with SLFHC Medical Provider’s through familiarization with provider patient panels, provider-directed psychosocial screenings, integrated medical visits, walking the halls, and other methods helpful to promoting the integrated primary care model
- Provide on-site availability for crisis triage and intervention
- Provide concise documentation of the behavioral health aspect of patient interventions and tracks the patient referrals to specialty behavioral health care in a timely manner
- Provide education to the primary care team regarding the latest information and knowledge pertaining to integrated behavioral health assessment and intervention, related behavioral health conditions, safety and risk assessment, in order to assist with enhancing primary care utilization of the Behavioral Health Services
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to write presentations that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public group and/or board of directors
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in the Behavioral Health field (Psychology, Counseling, Social Work)
- Two years of directly related experience is required
- Must be an Independently Licensed Behavioral Health Professional in the State of Arizona (LCSW, LPC, LMFT, LP).
- Computer literacy is required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus