What is a Health Center
Community Health Centers
Community Health Centers are a critically important part of our health care system in Arizona. Sixteen Federally Qualified Health Centers cared for more than 408,000 patients in 2011 and generated over $436,000,000 in economic benefits to their local communities. Community health centers (CHCs) represent a critical source of primary care for individuals nationwide. Health centers provide prevention, treatment, and disease management delivered in family-centered, patient-governed medical homes using the most advanced care practices. Please explore the information provided here to learn more about health centers and the quality care they provide, then find one in your neighborhood today.
What is a Community Health Center?
Community Health Centers or CHCs (also known as Federally Qualified Health Centers or FQHCs) are non-profit clinics located in medically underserved areas - both rural and urban - throughout Arizona. They share a mission of making comprehensive primary care accessible to anyone regardless of insurance status.
Federal legislation requires every FQHC to have a governing board that represents its community. A majority of the board members must be patients who use the health center's services.
FQHCs meet high standards of quality in providing the following to their patients:
- Basic primary care related to family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics, or gynecology;
- Diagnostic laboratory and radiology services;
- Preventative health services including prenatal and perinatal care, immunizations, pediatric screenings, family planning services, and preventive dental care;
- Care for acute and chronic conditions;
- Pharmaceutical services as appropriate;
- Referral services;
- Patient case management, including counseling, referral, and follow-up services;
- Services that enable patients to access the health center, such as outreach, transportation, translation and interpreter services.
- For the uninsured, a sliding fee schedule that takes into account the patient’s family size and income.
To find a Health Center near you, enter your zip code into the 'Find a Doctor' tool at the top of this page or Click HERE to view the map!
Click here for a fact sheet on Arizona's Health Centers prepared by the National Association for Community Health Centers.